What is "Textured Yarn" - Definition & Explanation
A continuous filament yarn that has been processed to introduce durable crimps, coils, loops or other fine distortions along the lengths of the filaments.
A yarn that has been so processed as to introduce durable crimps (q.v.), coils, loops or other fine distortions along the length of the fibres or filaments.
a) The main texturing processes usually applied to continuous-filament yarns made from or containing thermoplastic fibres, are as follows:
1. The yarn is highly twisted, heat-set and untwisted, either as a continuous process (false twisting) or as a three-stage process.
2. The yarn is passed through a heated "stuffer box" (stuffer box crimping).
3. The heated yarn is passed over a knife edge (edge crimping).
4. The heated yarn is passed between a pair of geared wheels or some similar device (gear crimping).
5. The yarn is knitted into a fabric, heat-set and unravelled (knit-deknit).
6. Loops are formed in individual filaments by over-feeding into a turbulent airstream (air-textured).
7. Bicomponent Fibres (q.v.) are differentially shrunk.
b) Processes (1) and (3) above produce yarns of a generally high stretch character. This stretch character is frequently reduced by reheating the yarn in a state where it is only partly relaxed from the fully extended condition, thus producing a yarn with the bulkiness little reduced but with a much reduced retractive power.
c) Fabrics that contain textured yarns have increased bulk, opacity, and moisture absorbency and improved thermal insulation properties with a warmer handle (q.v.); some textured yarns also confer extensible or "stretch" properties on fabrics made from them.
a general classification for continuous filament man - made fibre yarn which have been treated to give them hand and appearance which is different from the untreated yarn and / or stretchy. These yarns in some cases exhibit spun yarn effect. The yarns may be crimped ,curled, coiled, distorted through air jet process or given a false twist and then be heat set.
Some more terms: Uniform
A uniform is a set of standard clothing worn by members of an organization whilst participating in that organization's activity.
People performing religious activities have often worn standard...
A faulty fabric in which the warp or weft yarns show through the covering yarns when not so required by the...
A lace in which the lace motifs are appliquéd to a machine made net ground. Originally made in Binche...
Lacks luster or gloss and has a usually smooth even surface free from shine or...
Stretch 2 way
Refers to a woven or knit fabric with elastic properties in both directions, usually the result of using spandex....
Companies for Textured Yarn:
If you manufacture, distribute or otherwise deal in Textured Yarn